Special to the Chronicle 9:40 p.m. EDT October 11, 2015
On Tuesday, October 6th, at 12:00 p.m., thirty three women nominated for the 2015 Women of Distinction awards were announced at a luncheon at Capital City Country Club, Tallahassee, FL. A program inspired by Girl Scouts nationally, and hosted locally by the Girl Scouts of the Florida Panhandle, the Women of Distinction awards honor women who truly demonstrate their commitment to the community.
“The women chosen for this year’s Women of Distinction nominees’ set an excellent example for our girls and the opportunities for women in positions of leadership and service to the community” stated Raslean M. Allen, Girl Scout Council of the Florida Panhandle, Inc. chief executive officer. “The finalists are women who exemplify the characteristics of courage, confidence, and character, who make the world the better place, the mission of Girl Scouts.”
Nominated by members of the community, the women represent a cross section of the community. All nominees will be honored by the Girl Scouts of the Florida Panhandle during the 2015 Women of Distinction Awards Gala, November 19, at the Florida State University Alumni Center.
Seven women will be selected from among the finalists as 2015 Women of Distinction honorees, including the selection of the 2015 Diamond Award and Pearl Award recipients, respectively.
They join the 142 women in the Florida Panhandle who have been honored as Women of Distinction since the program’s inception in 1998.
This year’s finalists are:
- Dr. Shirley Aaron, Community Volunteer
- Meg Baldwin, Refuge House
- Betsy Barfield, Jefferson County Commission
- Jane Barron, Red Hills Horse Trials, Inc.
- Jean Bates, Lucy and Leo’s Cupcakery
- Jane Floyd Bullen, Gretchen Everhart & Pace
- Pamela Butler, Aegis Business Technologies
- Diana Cohn, Children’s Legal Services, DCF
- Heidi Copeland, UF/IFAS Leon County Extension
- Carol Dover, FL Restaurant & Lodging Assoc.
- Dr. Debra Fadool, Florida State University
- Willie Mae Footman, Community Volunteer
- Arlecia Harris, City of Tallahassee
- Dr. Cynthia Hughes Harris, FAMU
- Lucy Ho, Masa and AZU Restaurants
- Marion Hoffman, University of Florida
- Janelle Irwin, Hang Tough Foundation
- Liz Joyner, The Village Square
- Susan LaJoie, Florida State University
- Diane McCain, State University System of Florida
- Alexis Roberts McMillan, Economy Drug Store
- Deborah Moore, Guardian Ad Litem, Circuit 2
- Rosie Richeson, The Outlet
- Pamela Ridley, Sentry Self Service Storage
- Estic Rollings, Rollings Foundation
- Gigi Rollini, Messer Caparello, P.A.
- Alice Sims, Ernie Sims Big HITS Foundation
- Teresa Stevenson, St. Francis Wildlife Assoc.
- Bette Sullivan, Community Volunteer
- Nicole Tremblay, Exp.
- Christina Williams, Young Actors Theatre
- Dr. Gale Workman, Tighter Brighter Communication
- Peggy Youngblood, Leon County Schools
The Women of Distinction Awards Gala begins at 5:30 p.m. with a social hour and silent auction. A variety of silent auction items range from themed baskets to gift cards. Additionally, the festivities include a live auction of fine jewelry from local jewelers.
The dinner and awards program begin at 6:30 p.m. Tickets for this year’s event are now on sale at all Girl Scout Service Centers. Individual tickets are $125 each. Tickets are also included in sponsorships packages ranging from Gold Sponsor: $2,000 (Table of 8), Silver Sponsor: $1,000 (Table of 4) to Bronze Sponsor: $500 (2 tickets).
The Women of Distinction Awards Gala also raises funds to provide 5,019 girls with Girl Scouting programs and activities across the service area. “We are grateful to the businesses who have chosen to be a part of this special occasion”, stated Irene Field, Girl Scouts of the Florida Panhandle, chief fund development officer. For more information on becoming a sponsor contact Irene Field at 850-873-3999 ext. 1202, or toll free at (888) 271-8778, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.